2017 Masters League
Registration is now closed for Masters League 2017. We were able to expand the league to 10 teams and hope to have even more in 2018, assuming that we can find additional field space. Thank you to everyone who registered this season!
Below are some general facts about the first year of Masters League in TCUL, some of which will be explained in detail further down on this page. Keep in mind that the goal of Masters League is to provide an opportunity for older players to play without the worry of needing to keep up with players in their prime. Spirt Of The Game is expressly encouraged, along with post-game cheers, and compassion for fellow players:
- Women 30+ by 12/31/2017
- Men 33+ by 12/31/2017
- Co-ed with a 4 men / 3 women format on the field
- Rosters will be 10 men / 7 women
- Season runs from June 5th to August 16th; games at 6:15pm
- Games will be played on Monday and Wednesday nights. Teams will play only one game per week, but it will alternate between Monday and Wednesday nights
- Location: St. Paul Academy
- Cost = $45 (includes fields, t-shirt, and other wonderful things such as insurance, Paypal fees, cones, ice packs, etc.)
- Most importantly, you DO NOT need to be in shape to play Masters League. Use it as a way to stay in shape, get in shape, or form a new shape!
Registration begins on March 31st at 9am and will cost $45 per player, which includes a jersey. Similar to the Tue/Thur leagues, we will employ the lottery system for registration. Players may select carpool partners the same as in Tuesday league. In addition, players may sign up for a "split registration" meaning that one player could play Mondays and the other Wednesdays (see the Split Registration section below for more details). If you would like to captain, please indicate so during the registration process. Volunteering to captain does not guarantee a spot in the lottery.
If you can only play one night and so can another player, you can split your registration and each play one of the nights to accomodate your schedules. Only players of the same gender can split their registration - meaning two women or two men, but not a man and women. This essentially counts as a carpool so you can not split registration AND carpool with a third or fourth person. The highest ranked (best) player must register. In the "Notes" section, they must then list their registration partner's name and which nights each player plan to play (Mondays or Wednesdays). The registration partner must also register, indicate their registration partner, but should not pay. This allows the league to obtain a signed waiver and the registration partner's rankings. Only one jersey will be provided for split registrations unless one of the players request otherwise during registration.
Schedule / Timing
Masters League will run from Monday June 5th to Wednesday August 16th. Fields will be available at 6pm with all games beginning at 6:15pm. We need to be off the fields by 8:30pm so there will be a hard cap at 8:20pm. Once the current scoring attempt is completed, the game ends unless the score is tied. If tied, play continues until one additional goal is scored (universe point). There will be no game during the Fourth of July week. Playoffs occur during the last two weeks with the top four teams playing one another and the bottom four teams playing one another. Each team will play all of the other teams at least once.
Games will be played at St. Paul Academy, located at 1712 Randolph Avenue. Games will be played on the upper field, situated on the SE corner of the campus at the intersection of Davern Street and Hartford Avenue. Field configuration TBD but will be posted here. There are big parking lots on the north side of the campus as well as street parking available closer to the fields. Our permit restricts us to parking in the lot and only on the school sides of Davern Street and Hartford Avenue. If players disregard this, neighbors will complain and we will lose the fields. Below are additional stipulations of our field contract with SPA. Please follow these or risk expulsion from Masters League:
- No dogs allowed on school grounds
- No alcohol, tobacco, or drugs (this is a school)
- Keep the fields clean after your games. Follow the campsite rule used for dating and camping: leave the premises better than you found them
- Do not linger at the fields after the permit time and keep the noise level down, for the quiet enjoyment of SPA's neigbors
Normal summer league rosters contain nine men and six women (9M/6F). Knowing that masters league is comprised of more parents and players with diminishing stamina, we added one of each gender to the rosters (10M/7F). This should also help with players that can’t play on Mondays or Wednesdays.
As old people, we will conduct an old fashioned draft in May the way ultimate pioneers used to do it - with sticks, grunts, and crude gestures. It will likely be held the week of May 15-21, to be determined based upon the location.
All USAU 11th Edition rules apply to Masters League with the following exception:
- Players are able to call a brief equipment timeout which does not count as a team timeout
- Children ages 13-16 are eligible to occasionally play on their parent’s team if the parent is present. These young players should not be “ringers,” should not take playing time away from other paid players, should know the rules, and should not play more than a handful of points in any game unless the team is close-to or savage that gender.
- Players self-identify their birth year via the TCUL website, therefore we generally follow the honor system for age verification. If a player or substitute player's age is questioned, one of the captains can ask a Masters Board member to verify age before or immediately after a game. In such a case, yes, we will card you. For 2017, your birth year must be 1984 for men or 1987 for women.
- Substitute players are allowed regardless of a team being savage or not. Captains should get a sense of how many points their players are capable or willing to play, and find suitable subs accordingly. The goal should be to maximize playing time for those that paid and want to play. Subs must meet all of the masters requirements and should not be a high caliber player. Subs are meant to supplement a team struggling with numbers, not to enhance a team's chances of winning. All subs should be announced to the opposing captain(s) before the game, preferrably by email or text but in person if necessary.
Who doesn't love a good thunderstorm or a fun mud game? Well, old people and neither does SPA. We will follow the motto of "If you can see it (lightning) flee it; if you can hear it (thunder), clear it." The best place to avoid getting struck by lightning is in a bar. Please head to one. SPA will notify the league by 2pm if the fields are too wet/muddy for games to be played. We will get out a notice on the TCUL website and Facebook pages to announce all cancellations.
The league made many attempts to find a good solution for parents with kids. Due to insurance and liability issues, we are not able to provide child care. Our next goal was to find kid-friendly fields. We had several optimal fields with playgrounds but none were available. The SPA school does have a small playground area containing a climbing rock, a swing set, and a basketball hoop. The lower fields also have ample play space (if not used by other leagues) and are surrounded by fencing to keep children from running into the streets. If you bring your children to games, please make sure that they stay within sight of your team and/or make at least one player/parent on each team available to keep an eye on them throughout the game. Bringing supplies for group games (soccer ball, Frisbee, etc.) could be a good solution.
Lost & Found
Please give any abandoned items to a Board member (see below) and conversely, email the league with any lost & found inquiries.
The After Bar
The league will attempt to work out a drink/food special with a local establishment TBD. Please wait until at the bar to enjoy adult beverages and the like. School grounds are never a place to imbibe.
Masters League came together with a lot of hard work from Geoff Daniel, Carole Norris, Tony Case, and Andy Kahn in addition to other TCUL board members. Feel free to congratulate us, berate us, or offer kind suggestions for league improvement. We can also take lost & found items if they are brought to our attention, or verify ages upon request.